Sunday, May 18, 2014

Day Two at Shakti Fest 2014


This morning we entered the grounds and immediately felt settled in the space, as if we had always lived here. I noticed the wind dancing with the sand in the same area where we let loose the night before to the conscious beats of Mental Physix. The morning breeze mirrored the uninhibited movement of last night’s yogis, as if nature had been inspired by their abandon.

We spent our morning in the dining hall kitchen where staff, presenters, and artists enjoy food generously donated by health conscious, natural, and vegetarian companies. We were given a tour by head chef, Dan Foster, who graciously let us take a peak at where the magic happens. Rows and rows of all the products I drool over when perusing the aisles of Whole Foods, stocked the pantries and refrigerators of the kitchen. Organic India Ghee, KIND Healthy Snack's Granola, Upton Naturals, Yum Butter, Eden Foods, Blue Green Organics Agave, Lundberg pasta and rice cakes, and Big Tree Farms were among the donated products that lined the shelves making me feel like I was in a yogini’s Candy Land. Dan uses these products to make nourishing fare such as Coconut Curry and Chana Masala.  Dan’s vision of his culinary contributions are for the sole purpose of using food to heal and revitalize.

The treat of the morning was the Vega Breakfast Bar. I was given a walk through of the simple preparation it takes to start your day off with a delicious smoothie containing 15 grams of plant-based protein and three servings of greens. Look on the Bhakti Fest Facebook page to see my videos of the kitchen tour and adventures at the Vega breakfast bar.

First on the yoga list was Sara Ivanhoe in Yoga Hall 1; a cool and calm indoor sanctuary. Sara has a wonderful way of letting us explore our own yoga in a supportive environment. “You’re part of the real tradition, embodying and creating the yoga now,” she explains. With this freedom to explore asana using self-discovery, it becomes an informative practice leading us to dissolve into Brahman.

One of the highlights of my day was when Billy Hoveke, proficiently adept at massage and healing touch, gave me a sample of the massages he offers to staff, presenters and artists. Knowing I needed a heart-opener to counteract the weight of the computer I’ve been carrying around, he decided to give me a mash-up of Thai massage and acro-yoga. Saul David Raye, Larisa Stow, and many others have gone to Billy in order to keep their bodies open and available before or after performing. Feeling completely rejuvenated, I now understand how necessary it is to make body work a priority at festivals. Be sure to check out the Healing Sanctuary, and let yourself surrender into the hands of other masters of intuitive touch, available for appointments all day.

I can tell the community is tightening as I can barely walk ten feet without being greeted by a hug or a familiar smile, affirming we have become a neighborhood of love and understanding. This is sensed energetically, but also by the stunning visuals and experiences I take in throughout the day, including community painting and lounging with friends -from six to 65 years old- on comfy pillows by My Zen Home in the breathwork hall. The owners of My Zen Home, a husband and wife team, humored me as I explored asanas on their lounge pillows ranging from sukhasana to trikonasana.

A magical vibrational change occurred in class with Bhava Ram and Laura Plumb as evening set in. They took our group on an inward journey toward Shakti, the energy of the heart, with kriya, mantra, song, and community. Bhava Ram first found yoga from a place of life-threatening necessity. When he walked into his first yoga class he had a broken back and stage four cancer. Now he is healthy, thriving and an inspiration to yogis across the country and world. His story is worth reading to regain perspective, inspiration, and gratitude. Continuing my “attitude of gratitude” theme for the weekend, I am grateful for my health, this community of yogis, and to have discovered yoga and bhakti practice early in my life. To learn more about Bhava Ram’s story you can read his book, Warrior Pose, which is sure to give you a new understanding of what it means to be saved by yoga.

Packing up after Bhava Ram and Laura Plumb’s class I was able to catch the beginning of the video screening with Ram Dass, and take these gems: “Appreciate the moment and go fully into it; the past and the future are also found in this present moment; view thoughts as a witness; chant ‘I am loving awareness’ until you’re in the next plane of consciousness”.

My whole day was graced with the soundtrack of headlining kirtan artists on the Main Stage. I was able to take in the admiral presence of Saul David Raye, the understated power of Wah! (who my dear friend ZoĆ« Kors calls “The High Priestess of Bhav”), and of course, Jai Uttal, transporting us on a vibrational train with a one way ticket to ebullience. His mid-song anecdotes are human, honest, and relatable; as a modern day yogini this is something I value and appreciate. You can take part in this bliss tomorrow night even if you’re not in Joshua Tree this weekend. Tune in for the live-streaming of the All Star Jam tonight, Sunday May 18 at 9:30pm pst. 

Tonight, “Om Namah Shivaya” reverberated through the trees and we truly became part of the fabric of this festival. Last night we celebrated as friends, tonight we dance as family.







1 comment: