Sunday, September 7, 2014

Day 3: Bhakti Fest West 2014


It’s day three at Joshua Tree, and we are all fully immersed in the bhav. Everyone’s energies are vibrating similarly, and any baggage we may have brought with us has been released as we continue to become fully present. The intention I set on Thursday has now manifested and is fully coming into bloom. Everywhere I found myself today was followed by a clear message of validation that that was exactly where I was meant to be.

The Gandharvas, a trio of musicians and bhakti yogis, created wonderful morning melodic chants on the Main Stage after the morning meditation music with Sharanam Anandama. They blend energetic beats with minor chords and gentle chants of “Govinda Gopala” that strike the heart and splendidly set up the energy for the day. Arjun Baba followed continuing the impeccable line up for Saturday’s artists.

I treated myself to peruse the vendor village, taking time beyond just looking at the gorgeous and unique merchandise to actually engage in conversation with the owners and representatives in the booths. Serendipitously, I was drawn to the people with which I had the most in common. Ed Harrold from My Zen Home also came to teach the power of pranayama in the Breathwork Hall. He and I spoke in My Zen Home’s vendor booth about how control of the breath has life-changing abilities to calm the mind and nervous system. This is exactly what I teach for my trauma-sensitive yoga classes for veterans and first responders. This reciprocal passion for healing the nervous system through yogic practices planted the seed to what I’m sure will be a wonderful friendship and catalyst for mutual learning and growth in our respective fields.

While listening to Sudama blend chants with sweet messages for the modern age, Christy Wandrei of Bali Malas and I discovered that we share a string of mutual friends. I fawned over the fair-trade rudraksha seed malas and bracelets as we laughed in amazement over each new connection we identified. You can find her next to the EarthWe stage, and be sure to pick up your very own free Bali Street Children Bracelet with rudraksha beads.

Celeste from Jai Mala Rose might have the most incredible story of following Divine calling with open abandon. When an injured hip forced her to take pause from an active lifestyle and sit only with herself in contemplation, her true calling was birthed: creating rose mala beads while in spiritual practice. Her beads are cherished by all including the beloved Amma who has personally blessed the necklaces you will find on her table. Stop by her booth across from the ALOHA.com water shrine and ask her to expand on her story.

As I left the vendor village, I picked up a copy of Radhanath Swami’s book, The Journey Home, a ten dollar donation that goes directly toward his many charitable projects. I continued on to class with Bhava Ram and Laura Plumb. I never miss them at any festival as they embody the purest light of bhakti. Their class is a sacred offering combining their Deep Yoga asana, mantra, pranayama, chanting, affirmations, and storytelling. Bhava’s stories will give you a brand new perspective on the power and capability of these ancient traditions. As a fascinating memoir, his book Warrior Pose will keep you excitedly turning the pages, yet also serve to inspire and lead to uncovering of your own inner warrior.

If I were in a position to leave my way of life as I know it and follow a guru in true devotion of honest and ancient teachings, it would be to learn from Mark Whitwell. For ten years I have taken his classes, and every time I sit on the mat I learn something new. His message is simple: the power of the cosmos is rising as pure intelligence, beauty, and function in each and every one of us - we are already there, we are already Love. He takes us through the bread and butter of the practice: intentional breath which the asana is simply there to serve. Through his humble discourse he is able to hand the power back to his students in order to realize that the guru is YOU simply by showing love and compassion for another person. 

The sunset and rising moon in Joshua Tree are reminders that the desert is a sacred place. I am always surprised, no matter how many times I’ve seen it, that right at dusk the open desert looks like a painting, a renowned work of art, and this festival exists to simply praise the artist’s name. This was the back drop as the musical line-up, like no other in the world, continued into the night on the Main Stage. Krishna Das, Jai Uttal, and DJ Drez have all been my favorites for years, and I know I am not alone in that sentiment. To have them follow one right after the other is best described by Shiva Baum, “I’ve landed in bhakti heaven in the midst of a kirtan superbowl.” I couldn’t agree more, my friend.

Yogi P Bhakti brought it all the way home to Sunday's final 4AM Aquarian Sadhana. Drink it in; this is how we fill our spiritual wells to keep the magic in our hearts as long as possible.


Olivia Kvitne is serving as Bhakti Fest’s blogger and social media Goddess for all three festivals this year. She is Assistant Editor for LA Yoga Magazine and specializes in teaching trauma-sensitive yoga to veterans/military and first responders in addition to teaching hatha, yin, hot yoga and more. Twitter: @LoisLaneofYoga



No comments:

Post a Comment